A Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) is a healthcare professional educated and trained to evaluate and treat children and adults with speech, language, and swallowing problems. Speech and language pathology encompasses many conditions and disorders. Our therapists work one on one with each patient as they develop a plan of care tailored to the specific need of the client.
What Services Does A Speech Therapist Provide?
Our therapists provide a variety of services aimed at helping to develop effective communication skills.
• Helping people with articulation disorders to learn proper production of sounds.
• Helping people who stutter to speak more fluently.
• Assisting people with voice disorders to improve voice quality.
• Helping people with aphasia to relearn speech and language skills.
• Assisting people who have difficulty swallowing as a result of illness, surgery, stroke, or injury to regain the ability to swallow.
• Evaluating, selecting, and developing augmentative and alternative communication systems (such as voice synthesizing computers and communication boards) for people with severe speech problems.
• Enhancing communication effectiveness---improving everyday communication skills such as pitch, projection, accent, and nonverbal communication.
• Helping people who have cognitive difficulties by educating clients and caregivers on effective strategies to manage memory loss and cognition.
Who Can Benefit From Speech Therapy?
Speech-language services can be beneficial for many different conditions and disorders. Some of the most common are:
• Brain Injury
• Cerebral Palsy
• Intellectual Disability
• Down Syndrome
• Speech Delays
• Throat Cancer
What Methods Of Treatment Are Used?
Speech-language pathologists use many forms of treatment methods to achieve the goals of the client.
The most common forms of treatment are:
• Oral motor therapy
• Speech/articulation therapy
• Language therapy
• Teaching compensatory strategies
• Picture boards
• PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System)
• AAC (Augmentative/Alternative Communication) devices
• Role playing/ stories
Our clients receive high quality, individualized care tailored to their needs. We aim to provide exceptional speech services to achieve the optimal results for our patients.